Recipe by Lainey39
This is a recipe from one of Rachael Ray's 30-minute meal shows on Food Network. It is a cross between two Italian favorites - pizza and lasagna. I made a few changes in the method of cooking. The original recipe calls for it to only be put under a broiler, but I like my pizzagna heated through and through so I bake it first and then put it under the broiler with the cheese for about 10 minutes. Feel free to add your favorite toppings for pizza. It is a really easy meal to put together and tastes great. It is a real family favorite in my house.
- 1 lb pasta, curls (recommend campagnelle by Barilla, short fusilli or cavatappi pasta may be substituted)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated, a couple handfuls
- fresh parsley, finely chopped, a handful
- 1⁄2 cup pepperoni, sliced and cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan
- 1 bell pepper, seeded, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 onion, quartered then thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 12 cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced (baby portabellos)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 3⁄4 lb fresh mozzarella cheese or 3⁄4 lb smoked provolone cheese, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, add pasta and salt the water.
- While the water boils, combine ricotta, Parmiagiano, parsley and pepperoni in a large bowl and reserve.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat with extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan.
- When the oil is hot, add the peppers, onions, garlic and mushrooms.
- Saute 6 to 8 minutes until tender and mushrooms are dark.
- Season the vegetables with salt and pepper.
- Stir in tomatoes and reduce heat to low.
- Add a ladle of starchy cooking water to the ricotta just before you drain the pasta.
- Drain pasta. Pour back into pot and toss with ricotta and pepperoni mixture.
- Pour pasta into a baking dish and top evenly with peppers, onion and mushroom sauce.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes or until heated through.
- Take out of oven and top with a layer of mozzarella, oregano and red pepper flakes.
- Place under hot broiler and melt cheese until golden and bubbly.
- Remove and serve with crusty bread.