Recipe by Muffin Goddess
Posting this for safekeeping, since is sounds yummy, and it's a little different than the ones already posted. Adapted from "Cuisine for Two" from Cuisine at Home (I love that magazine!).
Top Review by Bayhill
We loved these delicious wraps! They are like a much healthier version of calzones. I added some chopped onion along with the mushrooms, to the Italian sausage. Also, I used a basil infused olive oil in the tomato sauce, and added some salt and pepper to taste. Instead of the mozzarella cheese, I used an Italian 5 cheese blend which included: mozzarella, provolone, romano, asiago, and parmesan. I doubled the recipe to make 4 wraps and they were gobbled down in a hurry. Thank you for sharing! **Made for Culinary Quest - Suitcase Gourmets**
- 1⁄4 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1 cup thinly sliced mushroom
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning (or use a pizza seasoning blend)
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 burrito-sized flour tortillas (whole wheat would be good here)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 10 large slice pepperoni, divided
- 1⁄2 cup baby spinach leaves, divided
- 1 tablespoon shredded parmesan cheese, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown sausage in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, breaking up the large chunks with a wooden spoon. Add the mushrooms and salt to taste, and continue cooking until sausage is cooked through (about 5 minutes). Transfer the meat mixture to a bowl to keep warm, then wipe out the skillet.
- In a bowl, stir together all the tomato sauce ingredients. Heat the wiped skillet on medium-low. Arrange one tortilla in the skillet, then spread 2 or 3 tbs of the tomato sauce over it. Top with 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, half of the sausage mixture, and half of the pepperoni slices. Arrange 1/4 cup of the baby spinach leaves over the top and sprinkle with half of the Parmesan cheese. Once mozzarella is melted, carefully transfer the tortilla to a cutting board or plate and roll (it's okay if the tortilla cracks, because the cheese will hold it together). Allow the wrap to stand for 1 minute so all the ingredients will heat up. Repeat with the other half of the ingredients. Serve with the remaining tomato sauce for dipping.