Recipe by ElleFirebrand
Your favorite Rueben sandwich, but on a pizza! From Bon Appetit, July 1998. Posted for ZWT 7.
Top Review by breezermom
I made this exactly as posted, and did peel the skin off my sausages so that I wouldn%u2019t have to worry about the tough skin. I don%u2019t think this really tasted like a reuben, but it was very good. A great change to an ordinary pizza! Thanks for sharing! Made for ZWT7.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed sauerkraut, well-drained
- 1 tablespoon sauerkraut juice, reserved
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed shredded swiss cheese
- 16 ounces purchased fully baked thick pizza crusts
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 8 ounces fully cooked kielbasa, thinly sliced into rounds
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and caraway seeds and sauté until onion just begins to brown, about 7 minutes. Transfer onion mixture to large bowl. Mix in sauerkraut and 1 tablespoon sauerkraut juice. Cool to lukewarm, then mix in cheese. Season generously with pepper.
- Place pizza crust on baking sheet. Spread with Dijon mustard and top with sausage, then sauerkraut mixture.
- Bake pizza until cheese melts, topping begins to brown and crust is crisp, about 15 minutes. Transfer pizza to work surface; cut into wedges and serve.