Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a delicious way to use up all your extra tomatoes from summer's crop, I usually prepare a double batch of these, because they are sooooooo good!
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- 2 medium firm tomatoes, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- vegetable oil
- chopped green pepper (optional)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a bowl, combine flour, basil, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Dip tomatoes in flour mixture.
- In a frypan, fry tomatoes in oil, a few at a time, until golden on both sides.
- Sprinkle with chopped green pepper if desired.
- Top with cheese, broil in oven for a few minutes.
- until cheese is melted.
- note: if you sprinkle the mozza cheese on the tomatoes just after frying, then you won't have to put under broiler, the tomatoes will be hot enough for the cheese to melt.
Very easy and tasty! My son and I needed some "energy" last night and I remembered this recipe. In under 5 minutes we had a tasty snack and made our house smell wonderful too! Our tomatoes weren't as firm as I think they should have been, so ours were a bit sloppy to eat, but that is our fault! Thanks for sharing!
This is a great recipe. Frying the tomatoes was unusual for us, but so delicious. A great side - both delicious and so simple.