Recipe by cookingcocoa
Diabetic friendly from the ADA Newsletter. This is easy to make, and yummy! Sure to be a family favorite, as the flavor really does resemble pizzas! I use fresh mozzarella, cubed, but the exchanges are based on the recipe with part-skim moz.
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup cooked extra lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 4 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut a thin slice across stem end of tomato. Scoop out pulp from tomatoes, leaving 1/4" thick shells.
- Coarsely chop 1/2 cup of pulp.
- Place tomato shells in oiled baking pan.
- In small bowl, combine chopped tomato, cheese, ground beef, 2 tablespoons bread crumbs, and seasonings.
- Spoon equal amounts of this mixture into tomato shells. Sprinkle each with remaining bread crumbs.
- Bake, uncovered, until cheese melts, about 15 minutes.
- EXCHANGES per serving: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch and 1 lean meat.
- SOURCE: ADA newsletter, and they got it from Jul/Aug 1992 Diabetes Self-Management.