Recipe by jkworth
I got this from the "Good Eats" show. It's easy to make and I find it goes perfect on my pesto pizza. Make sure the wine you use is one that you would drink and not some cheap cooking stuff. It makes all the difference.
- 20 roma tomatoes, halved and seeded
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon oregano, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme, finely chopped
- 1 cup red wine or 1 cup white wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In 2 (13x9) pans place tomato halves cut side up.
- Sprinkle with oil, salt and pepper, onion, garlic, and herbs.
- Bake tomatoes for 2 hours. Check the tomatoes after 1 hour and turn down the heat if they seem to be cooking too quickly.
- Then turn the oven to 400 degrees and bake another 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and process tomatoes through a food mill using a medium dye over a small saucepan.
- Discard skins.
- Add wine, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook for 5 minutes.