Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
If you're mad about mushrooms, especially on your pizza, this is for you! You'll get rich Portobello flavor in every bite, because the mushroom itself is your pizza. Stuffed with savory pizza toppings like cheese and pepperoni, these make terrific appetizers, or served with a salad, a meal in themselves. The mushrooms are baked and then set on toasted slices of crusty French bread for stability and crunch. Courtesy of Mr.Food.
- 4 portabella mushroom caps, each 4 to 5 inches in diameter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup spaghetti sauce
- 3⁄4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 slices pepperoni, quartered (thin slices, 1/2 oz.)
- 2 teaspoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 slices crusty French bread, toasted (thick slices)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- If mushrooms have stems, slice them off close to the caps.
- Brush caps with olive oil and place stem side up on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle each with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread each mushroom cap with 3 tablespoons spaghetti sauce and top each with 3 tablespoons of Mozzarella cheese.
- Scatter pepperoni pieces evenly over the Mozzarella and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and oregano.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until mushrooms are hot and cheese is lightly browned.
- Place stuffed Portobellos on toasted French bread slices and serve immediately.
- Note- You may also brown about 1/4 lb of Italian sausage to add to your pizzas if you'd like, or substitute whatever toppings are your favorites!
This was sooo good. I made them for my husband who is on Adkins while we had regular pizza and I kept stealing his.....it was so much better. Thanks so much for this wonderful recipe.
This was a good recipe, however, the mushroom gets so watery after cooking, on the plate, that all the sauce runs off as well. Any tips?