Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
Found this in a magazine and adapted it to fit my taste. It's so versatile that these can be made to suit any taste or to use whatever you have on hand.
- 4 baking potatoes
- oil, for rubbing
- 1 1⁄2 cups pizza sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage
- 1 (3 ounce) package pepperoni
- 1⁄4 cup olive
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, sliced into slivers
- 1⁄4 cup onion
- 1⁄4 cup mushroom
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Scrub the potatoes well and pierce with a fork. Rub the potatoes with oil. Bake 1 hour or until tender. Allow to cool enough to handle.
- Cut the top 1/4 off the potato and scoop out some of the potato.
- Heat the broiler.
- Combine the Italian seasoning and pizza sauce and divide among potatoes. Top with desired toppings. Sprinkle each potato with 1/4 cup of cheese.
- Place the potatoes under the broiler and melt the cheese.
I made mine with green peppers, fresh basil and fresh mozzarella. I microwaved the potato first then added the toppings and put it under the broiler. A nice dinner if you are cooking for one or two.
I used this recipe to make a quick and very tasty dinner tonight. I nuked a potato while I got the rest of the ingredients ready. Topped the split tater w/ my favorite spaghetti sauce, pepperoni, and nuked it appx 1.5 mins til the pepperoni was looking good. Transferred the potato to a baking pan, topped w/ mozzarella and put in the toaster over to melt the cheese. Yummy! Warm and delicious, I can see this recipe being made often when I get home from work late. Thanks, Amy! (PS - I sent this recipe to my nephew in college who's in his first apartment and starting to cook for himself! UPDATE: My nephew just emailed to say that he tried the recipe and LOVED it!)
These were good. I used all of the toppings except the olives (personal preference) and after the sausage was almost cooked through, sauteed the peppers, onions and mushrooms and added them to the sausage. Nice easy recipe. Thanks for sharing.