Recipe by gertc96
I was looking for something quick that my kids would enjoy for lunch. I came across this recipe at the allrecipes website. You could use hamburger, Canadian bacon, any pizza topping you want. I let me kids come in and they helped create their pizza sticks and I did the cooking part. The recipe says to deep fry, but I try to keep the fat content down a bit in the house so we baked them in oven after spraying with a little olive oil cooking spray to add a bit of crispness. Cooking time includes baking time. Only 5 min. cooking time if you are frying.
Top Review by Chef 387166
This is one of those recipes that I love because you can vary it so many ways and it is quick and easy and tastes good. I only made 8 to make sure we would like this and I made those as written except for using fresh mushrooms I sauteed. I baked them instead of frying. Next batch I plan to use Canadian bacon and perhaps some seasonings. Thank you for a keeper!
- 1 (14 ounce) package egg roll wraps
- 24 pieces mozzarella string cheese
- 25 pepperoni slices
- 1 (6 ounce) can mushrooms (drained)
- 2 tablespoons garlic (minced)
- 2 cups vegetable oil (for frying if you choose not to bake)
- 1 (14 ounce) jar marinara sauce (I use Prego)
Directions See How It's Made
- Lay out the egg roll wrappers one at a time.
- Place one piece of string cheese in the center near the edge, then arrange some pepperoni, sliced mushrooms and garlic around the cheese (or the topping of your choice).
- Roll up the string cheese a little, fold in the sides, then continue to roll up, and seal the edge by moistening with water. Repeat with remaining wrappers, cheese and fillings.
- Heat oil in a large heavy skillet, or deep fryer to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C).
- Fry enough to fit loosely in the pan, turning once after about 5 minutes. Continue to fry for 3 to 5 more minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. If baking, place on cookie sheet and bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 20-25 minute or until wrappers are golden brown.
- Warm the marinara sauce in a serving bowl in the microwave.
- Serve Pizza Sticks on a platter with the bowl of sauce for dipping.