Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
The family will swear you are making pizza. From a Fireshifter link on the McDougall board.
Make and share this Pizza Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 28 ounces tomatoes, cut up
- 2 cups loose-pack frozen broccoli carrots cauliflower mix
- 15 ounces pizza sauce or 15 1⁄2 ounces pizza sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato juice
- 1⁄2-1 tablespoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 6 slices French bread, toasted
- In a large saucepan cook mushrooms, onion, and garlic until onion is tender.
- Stir in undrained tomatoes, frozen vegetables, pizza sauce, tomato juice, oregano, and fennel seed. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast bread under the broiler for 1 to 2 minutes.
- To serve, ladle the veg mixture into bowls. Top each serving with a slice of toasted bread.
This is sooo good!! The bread is not needed. I only used broccoli, no carrots or cauliflower. Great lower carb low fat recipe! Definitely curbs the pizza cravings. I sprinkled a little grated parmesean on top. Perfection!
Note: This was designed as a fat free recipe by Fireshifter. Recommended is either FF pizza sauce or homemade pizza sauce with no fat if you want fat free which makes Zaar's nutrition because the changes ATE the FF part of the pizza sauce in the recipe just as it ate the second ingredient and turned it into a duplicate of the first. It was suppose to be spaghetti sauce. You may want to take this into account when you make it. Philocrates aka Dr. House Just here to correct a recipe.
I made this very simple and quick recipe for lunch today and my hubby came into the kitchen saying, "It smells like you're making pizza!" Not only did it smell good, it tasted great! Thanks for posting it!