Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Cracker crumb and parmesan cheese breaded cubes steaks topped with mozzarella cheese then baked with tomato sauce and parmesan cheese.
- 4 cube steaks
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 6 ounces saltine crackers
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 2 (8 ounce) cans salt-free tomato sauce
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese (1 oz each)
- Put the saltines crackers in a large seal bag and roll with a rolling pin until well crushed. Add 3 tablespoons of grated parmesan cheese and mix well in the bag. Place crumbs on a plate for breading.
- In a shallow bowl add eggs and milk mix well with a whisk.
- Dip each steak in the egg mixture then place carefully in crumbs and turn over to coat well. Double dip if you want a thicker crust.
- Add oil to a heavy duty fry pan, heat @ medium heat until oil is hot but not smoking. Add each steak and cook just until each side is golden brown, 3-4 minutes per side. You make need to add additional oil as you cook steaks there should be about 1/4 inch of oil.
- Move each steak to a 9x13 baking dish. Remove excess oil from the fry pan but leave the drippings. Add the tomato sauce and stir up all the drippings. Add 1/2 cup of the parmesan cheese to the tomato sauce and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Cover each steak with mozzarella cheese then pour the sauce over the top.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 15 minutes or until the sauce is hot.