Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Quick, easy, inexpensive and fairly healthy soup. My family liked it a lot. Adapted from the American Heart Assoc "Meals in Minutes" cookbook. I upped the spices (not quite doubled) and added an ounce or two of some Italian style peppardelle noodles, broken into little bits.
- 3 ounces Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup frozen bell peppers or 1 green bell pepper, medium chopped
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, low sodium
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- In a 3-4 quart saucepan or stock pot brown the sausage for about 5 minutes or until cooked through.
- Add onions, peppers and mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- Add all other ingredients and bring to a boil. Turn down and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Variation: Add 2-3 ounces of broken spaghetti noodles or other small pasta.