Recipe by Dissie
This makes a good flavored soup. I am not sure how much it tastes like pizza, but it sure is good comfort food that you can make quickly for a nice evening meal. I know all tastes differ, so be your own judge on spicing it up. I usually add more than 1 tsp hot sauce, but some may not like that twang of louisiana hot sauce. Hope you enjoy!
- 1 (14 ounce) jar pizza sauce
- 5 cups water (or 3 jars of water from the pizza sauce jar)
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 large onion, chopped
- 1 -2 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 lb cooked italian sausage
- 1 cup sliced pepperoni, sliced in quarters (I use those mini pepperoni slices, so I don't slice)
- 8 fresh basil leaves, chopped (or 1 Tblsp dried)
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning, -i use luzianne
- 1 cup dry pasta (I use rotini)
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (not tabasco)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (to add at the end)
Directions See How It's Made
- You can use a crockpot or dutch oven for this recipe.
- If using crockpot;.
- Wash and prepare veggies.
- Dump them into the crockpot.
- Add the cooked browned italian sausage.
- Cut up the pepperoni and place on a paper plate in a single layer in microwave for about 1-2 minutes or a plate covered with a paper towel to catch the grease, then add just the meat to crockpot, not the grease.
- (You arent trying to make the pepperoni get crisp, just release most of its grease so its not on the top of the soup in a nasty layer.).
- Add spices and stir.
- Pour in the pizza sauce and tomatoes, and follow with three empty jars of water or 5 cups of water.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours. Everything in this is already cooked, except for the veggies, so you are really only heating through and allowing the flavors to meld. Or on high for 4 hours.
- Thirty minutes before serving, add the dry pasta, and turn to high. My pasta only takes 20 minutes to soften quite nicely. When pasta is done, stir in 1 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Garnish/top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- IF you are doing on the stovetop, Do it pretty much the same except saute the veggies with the itialian sausage while you are browning it. Dump it all in the pot and heat and simmer for 15 minutes, then add the pasta and cook pasta until its tender. Stir in 1 cup cheese and garnish with remaining cheese!