Recipe by mums the word
Canadian Living Magazine (Feb 2005). My kids love the pizza flavours in this soup. They like to top their own bowls with shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese. The original recipe appears below, but I like to add some kidney beans, pasta, Parmesan and basil. Play with it and have fun. For a thinner soup, add more broth.
Top Review by Starrynews
Great - it really does smell like pizza while it is cooking! I used the green pepper and sauteed it with the onion and garlic. I also added the suggested kidney beans and used fresh diced tomatoes. I omitted the salt and used low sodium chicken stock. I also omitted the meat, because I didn't have any ham or pepperoni, and it worked just fine without it - but I can certainly see how it would add some nice flavor, so I will keep it in mind for future use. I topped it with a "pizza blend" of shredded cheese, which was great. Thanks for a keeper!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup ham or 1 cup pepperoni, diced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped (optional)
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock (or vegetable)
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
Directions See How It's Made
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Saute onion, garlic, mushrooms, ham, pepperoni, oregano, salt and pepper until tender and the mushroom liquid is evaporated, about 6 minutes.
- Add green pepper (if using), tomatoes (undrained), stock and tomato paste. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered until flavours blend, about 10-15 minutes.
- Sprinkle each bowl with mozzarella cheese when serving.