Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Recipe from a magazine article and comes from a restaurant in Palermo, Sicily, Italy. Time does not includes amt needed to proof dough.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry active yeast, dissolved in 1/2 cup warm water (105-115 F)
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, sliced thin
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 8 -10 anchovy fillets, cut small
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheese (Italian Blend,Parmesan, Romano or Pecorino)
- Make dough by mixing dough ingredients. Knead 12 to 20 minutes. Pat into a ball, cover it tight and let stand 3 hours in warm place until twice the size.
- In the oil fry onion tender but not too brown, stir in tomato paste and keep stirring 3 or 4 minutes. Season with spices, pour water over and simmer slowly 25 to 30 minutes. Add anchovies when sauce is done.
- Procure a low, wide and handsome tin pizza pan, or reasonable substitute, and grease well before spreading the well-raised dough ½ to ¾ inch thick.
- Poke your finger tips haphazardly into the dough to make marks that will catch the sauce when you pour it on generously.
- Shake on Parmesan or Parmesan-type cheese and bake in hot oven (350F) ½ hour, then ¼ hour more at lower heat (250F) until the pizza is golden-brown.
- Cut in wedges like any other pie and serve.