Prep 10 mins
Cook 18 mins
Adapted from the South Beach Diet cookbook, because theirs were boring and weird. Presumably, one could customize the toppings extensively. I did make one batch with sun-dried tomatoes, however, and I don't recommend that at all -- too sweet.
- 4 large portabella mushroom caps, cleaned, stems removed
- olive oil
- 4 teaspoons pesto sauce (prepared)
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 8 -12 slices turkey pepperoni
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- garlic powder
- hot smoked paprika
- Coat caps lightly in olive oil.
- Dust with paprika and garlic powder to taste.
- Bake gills-down at 400F for about 15 minutes.
- Pull 'em out of the oven and flip 'em over.
- Add a teaspoon of pesto to each cap and spread it around.
- Top that with a bit of cream cheese, pepperoni, and a bit of cheddar cheese on top.
- Pop 'em back in the oven until the cheddar gets golden-brown.