Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
One of my favorite pizzas has a sauce containing fennel seeds, so I decided to come up with my own recipe. The sauce is spicy, tangy and herby--enough for two or three 12" pizzas.
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (4 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons onions (minced)
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf basil (dried or chopped fresh)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic (minced)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Combine all ingredients except tomato paste.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove heat.
- Stir in tomato paste to thicken.
I, too, love fennel seeds. This beats anything in a can or jar. Will definitely make this sauce again. Thanks for the posting!