Recipe by Leggy Peggy
My friend, Dan, gave me this recipe more than 30 years ago. It is delicious and so easy to make, and it freezes really well. The caraway seeds are the secret. When I make this sauce, I usually double it. This way, I can use about one-quarter of the mixture on the pizzas for that night. Then I freeze the rest—in three separate containers—for later use. A quarter of the mixture will cover about two large pizzas, but it depends on your preferences.
Top Review by katew
The caraway seeds give this a real POP of flavour. For me it is an unusual combination but it certainly works. I put the sauce on a bought pizza base and added mushrooms and sundried tomatoes.
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce (puree)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground thyme (or crush leaf well)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground oregano (or crush leaf well)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground rosemary (or crush leaf well)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed (do not crush)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed (or more)
- 1 bay leaf, broken into small pieces