Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
The anchovies in this pizza sauce are there for the subtle saltiness and unique savoriness and not just so you can tell your friend (the one who really hates anchovies) that they just ate some. Note: As a suggestion, give a small splash of good balsamic vinegar to the sauce after taking off the heat.
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (28 ounce) canplum tomatoes with juice, crushed (San Marzano are best but any brand will do)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 ea. anchovies, minced
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan on low heat and add the garlic and basil. Stir for 1 minute. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 10-15 minutes over medium heat.
- At this point you may purée the sauce or leave it a little chunky, depending on your tastes.
- Sauce should be spread to 3/4 of an inch from the edge of the crust. It should just lightly coat the dough so you can still see through it.