Prep 40 mins
Cook 2 hrs
You can add any topping to this sauce!
- 4 cups warm water (100 to 110 degrees)
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 4 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt (divided)
- 14 cups beer (flat)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 13 cups onions (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 28 ounces roma tomatoes (with juice)
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano (chopped)
- 12 teaspoons black pepper
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- 2 In a food processor, combine flour, Italian seasoning and salt. Pulse until mixed. Add yeast mixture, flat beer and oil. Pulse until a ball is formed. Scrape dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead for several minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. Allow dough to rest for 2 to 3 minutes. Divide dough in half, and shape into balls. Place dough balls in separate bowls, and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to rise at room temperature for about 1 hour, then store in the refrigerate overnight.
- 3 To make the sauce: Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Saute onions until tender. Stir in garlic, and cook for 1 minute. Crush tomatoes into saucepan. Add tomato paste, basil, parsley and oregano. Simmer for 10 minutes.