Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
You can always use canned pizza sauce, but this homemade pizza sauce is spicy and fragrant. It freezes well and you can easily double or quadruple the recipe.
- 4 halves sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil
- 1 (28 ounce) canground plum tomatoes
- 1 (12 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon citric acid
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil (or 2 tablespoons oregano, or a combination or 2 teaspoons dried basil or 2 teaspoons dried oregano)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon anise seed
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh flat leaf parsley
- In a small bowl, cover the sundried tomatoes with boiling water.
- Let stand for 5 minutes and drain.
- In a food processor, combine the sundried tomatoes, canned tomatoes,and roasted red peppers.
- Process until smooth.
- Heat the olive oil over low heat in a medium saucepan.
- Saute the garlic for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato mixture and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and cook for another 5 minutes, or until thick and saucy.
- Remove from heat.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Let cool completely.
- Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.