Recipe by Sue Lau
Adapted from a recipe for New York style pizza sauce. Enough for 2 12-inch pizzas. I use one and freeze the other.
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, whole or 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and cut in half
- olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Brush onion with oil and place cut side down on a nonstick foil lined baking sheet. Roast at 450F for 20 minutes, then flip over, brush with a little more oil, then roast until the onion "pops" and looks caramelized and ruffled like a rose.
- Pulse tomatoes in a food processor until they resemble chunky salsa.
- Place all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer over low heat until reduced by half, about an hour.
- Puree sauce in food processor (in batches if necessary) and cool before using, or reduce further by simmering until it is your desired consistency.
- Freeze any unused portions for use later.