Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This a a tasty pizza sauce, best used thinly spread on pizza dough
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup mushroom, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced and smashed
- 1 (8 ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can no-added-salt tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 2 -3 anchovy fillets
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 2 small bay leaves
- In a heavy sauce pan, heat olive oil to medium heat. Add onions, mushrooms and garlic. Saute until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Combine tomato sauce, tomato paste, anchovie filets, bay leaves and water. Stir until combined.
- Place the rest of the ingredients into a spice grinder or coffee grinder and roughly grind. Add to the tomato mixture and bring to a slow simmer. The sauce will be quite runny at this point.
- Simmer for 30 minutes to 2 hours, until the sauce reaches the consistancy you want for your pizzas.
- Remove the bay leaves and spread thinly on a pizza dough. Add your favorite toppings and bake.