2 hrs 30 mins
This a a tasty pizza sauce, best used thinly spread on pizza dough
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup mushroom, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced and smashed
- 1 (8 ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can no-added-salt tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 2 -3 anchovy fillets
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 2 small bay leaves
- 1In a heavy sauce pan, heat olive oil to medium heat. Add onions, mushrooms and garlic. Saute until the onion is soft and translucent.
- 2Combine tomato sauce, tomato paste, anchovie filets, bay leaves and water. Stir until combined.
- 3Place the rest of the ingredients into a spice grinder or coffee grinder and roughly grind. Add to the tomato mixture and bring to a slow simmer. The sauce will be quite runny at this point.
- 4Simmer for 30 minutes to 2 hours, until the sauce reaches the consistancy you want for your pizzas.
- 5Remove the bay leaves and spread thinly on a pizza dough. Add your favorite toppings and bake.
Browse Our Top Low Protein Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pizza Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (203 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 186.1
- Calories from Fat 107
- Total Fat 11.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 5.0 mg
- Sodium 181.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 8.9 g
- Protein 5.2 g