Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Use whatever cheese you prefer.. If you do not like spicy then use a milder salami. This recipe was posted in our local TV Guide - I changed a couple of ingredients and measurements. The garlic is optional. It is a neat authentic version of an Italian pizza and I think very very good. You can cut very small slices and serve this as an appetizer (would serve 12) or have it as the main meal served with a green salad
- 1 pie crust, for 11 inch pan
- 2 eggs (reserve 1 tbsp egg white)
- 2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded jarlsberg cheese (divided)
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed (optional)
- 6 -8 ounces hot smoked sausage, chopped (Salami, pepperoni 0r cappicoli)
- 1 cup cherries or 1 cup grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 lb asparagus
- 1⁄4 cup sliced black olives
- Heat oven to 375F, prick the pie crust and paint with the tbsp of eggwhite.
- Bake crust for approximately 10 minutes or until it begins to brown, set aside to cool Beat the eggs and mix with the ricotta cheese, gently stir in 2/3 of the Jarlsberg cheese & the garlic (if using). Put half of this mixture into the cooked pie crust and spread it out evenly. Sprinkle in the chopped sausage.
- Place tomato halves on top of sausage.
- Sprinkle with the pepper & Italian Seasoning.
- Gently pour in the remaining cheese mixture, spread evenly.
- Bake 35 minutes or until the cheese mixture is firm.
- Meanwhile wash the asparagus and snap off the tough bottom end of the stalks Cut the asparagus into 1/4" rounds leaving the tips (heads) whole.
- Steam the asparagus (cut pieces and tips) for 4-5 minutes, they should still be crisp. Have the asparagus ready before the pie is finished baking.
- Spoon the asparagus on top of the pie.
- Sprinkle on the remaining cheese, arrange the asparagus tips on top& decorate with the olives. Return to the oven for about another 10-15 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Serve warm.