Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
I have no idea where the recipe came from, my mom's been making it for years. It's a nice recipe to have after Christmas when everyone is tired of leftover turkey and ham; great way to use both of them up. The preparation time is an estimate, but it can't be much longer than that.
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 ounces cooked ham, cubed
- 4 ounces cooked turkey, cubed
- 1 1⁄4 cups sliced mushrooms
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 pinch cayenne
- pastry for a double-crust 9-inch pie
- egg wash, for crust (1 yolk mixed with 1 tsp milk)
- Over medium high heat, saute onion and garlic in olive oil. Add spinach, and cook until there is no more moisture.
- Mix together Ricotta cheese, egg, and egg yolks.
- Mix in the spinach mixture.
- Add ham, turkey, mushrooms, Parmesan, and herbs and spices.
- Place one pie crust flat on a pizza pan or large baking sheet.
- Carefully pile the Ricotta mixture in the middle, making sure to leave about 2 inches of crust around the outside.
- Paint the edge of the crust with some water, the place the second pie crust on top.
- Seal edges, fold and crimp.
- Cut steam vents, paint the entire top with the egg wash.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes, then decrease temperature to 400 and bake for an additional 45 minutes.
- Let rest for a few minutes before serving.
This gets a big 10 STARS from us! Perfect for a light supper on Friday after a long work week. I sauteed the mushrooms with the onions, so they wouldn't have as much moisture in them, but other than that, made as posted. I want to try it with some cooked, crumbled Italian turkey sausage also! Made for Fall 2011 PAC game.
What a great recipe! I omitted the meat for us this time, and I also sauteed the mushrooms with the onions and garlic. This is delicious and I will definately make this again and maybe put some hot Italian sausage in there. Thanks for sharing the recipe ChloeBaby!