1/4 Photos of Pizza Rustica
1 hr 15 mins
I have no idea where the recipe came from, my mom's been making it for years. It's a nice recipe to have after Christmas when everyone is tired of leftover turkey and ham; great way to use both of them up. The preparation time is an estimate, but it can't be much longer than that.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 ounces cooked ham, cubed
- 4 ounces cooked turkey, cubed
- 1 1/4 cups sliced mushrooms
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 pinch cayenne
- pastry for a double-crust 9-inch pie
- egg wash, for crust (1 yolk mixed with 1 tsp milk)
- 1Over medium high heat, saute onion and garlic in olive oil. Add spinach, and cook until there is no more moisture.
- 2Mix together Ricotta cheese, egg, and egg yolks.
- 3Mix in the spinach mixture.
- 4Add ham, turkey, mushrooms, Parmesan, and herbs and spices.
- 5Place one pie crust flat on a pizza pan or large baking sheet.
- 6Carefully pile the Ricotta mixture in the middle, making sure to leave about 2 inches of crust around the outside.
- 7Paint the edge of the crust with some water, the place the second pie crust on top.
- 8Seal edges, fold and crimp.
- 9Cut steam vents, paint the entire top with the egg wash.
- 10Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes, then decrease temperature to 400 and bake for an additional 45 minutes.
- 11Let rest for a few minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pizza Rustica
Serving Size: 1 (217 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 342.3
- Calories from Fat 200
- Total Fat 22.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.9 g
- Cholesterol 167.0 mg
- Sodium 524.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 28.1 g