Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
- French bread dough (bought & thawed) or bread machine dough (bought & thawed)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red peppers or 1 medium yellow pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 6 large mushrooms, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1 cup old, cheddar cheese, grated
- In a large frying pan or wak,fry up the beef (turkey, chicken) and drain the fat.
- Add the next 10 items into the pan and saute to your liking and add a little bit of water if needed.
- Add the ground meat and mix then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, roll out the dough as if making pinwheels (retangular shape) to the thickness of about 1/2 an inch.
- Now mix the cheeses with the topping mixture and spread onto the dough.
- Roll up the dough and pinch at the ends quite well.
- Then cut into 1 inch thickness or make 16 rounds.
- Let rise for an hour or double in size on well greesed cookie sheets.
- Preheat oven at 400 degrees and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm.