Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I cut this out of a magazine; I think Taste of Home. My guys loved it!
- 3⁄4 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 dash pepper
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1⁄2 cup small curd cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- In large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat then drain.
- Add the tomato sauce, sugar, salt, parsley, garlic powder, oregano and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Combine the rice and cottage cheese.Put 1/2 into a greased 11"x7"x2" baking dish.
- Top with half of the meat mixture. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake uncovered, at 325 degrees for 30-35 minutes until heated through and bubbly.
This was pretty tasty ... tasted more like lasagna then pizza but still tasted good. I used brown rice and longhorn cheese but other then that followed the recipe. It was good the second day for lunch as well. Thanks
This was really good and my whole family really liked it. I already had a spaghetti sauce made, with veggie crumbles instead of meat. And I used brown rice instead of white. But it was really tasty and a nice change from another baked pasta dish.
You'll laugh when I tell you how I adapted this recipe to what I had on hand..... Instead of cottage cheese, I used mashed great northern beans. I also used wild rice, and omitted the garlic powder. I had fresh herbs in my garden; tarragon, Greek oregano, and basil and used those. I also added a bit of mexican cheeses (chipotle included) and made this more of a mexican casserole! It turned out great! We ate it over baked potatoes on day two! Nothing like TONS OF CARBS at my house!