Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
An easy dish, ground beef or Italian sausage,seasoned with a jar of spaghetti sauce, topped with a popover topping. Kids love this. From a local Junior League cookbook.
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef or 1 lb Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) jar spaghetti or 1 (15 ounce) jar marinara sauce
- 3⁄4 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese or 2 cups monterey jack cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Brown the meat in a large skillet over medium high heat until browned. Add the onion, garlic and red pepper. Saute for a few minutes until softened.
- Add the spaghetti sauce and Italian seasoning. Simmer, uncovered, for five minutes. Spread the meat mixture in a 9"x13" baking dish. Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the meat mixture.
- In a blender jar, combine the eggs, milk, flour and salt. blend until smooth. Pur over the meat mixture. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese. Bake in a 400 degree oven until puffy and browned, about 30 minutes.
I tried this a couple years ago and now it's my staple potluck food. I like because it impresses and is forgiving to changes in the recipe. One of my friends described it as an upside down pizza.