Prep1 hr 15 mins
We used to be able to buy these from a local bakery, but I can't find them anymore. My daughter was going into withdrawal, so I came up with these. They are great to store in the freezer...nuke them for a couple minutes and you have a quick snack or lunch! (Rising time included in prep time)
- Divide pizza dough into 4 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a rope, 18-24" long.
- If you must use flour, use sparingly.
- Form each rope into a pretzel, pressing the ends of the rope into the dough so it doesn't untwist.
- Place on sprayed or greased baking sheet, leaving space around each pretzel.
- Cover and let rise until almost double, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400*.
- Gently spread about 1 tbl of pizza sauce onto each pretzel, allowing some of the sauce down into the holes which have probably mostly closed up.
- Sprinkle with oregano if desired.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until bottoms are a darker golden.
- Immediately place a slice of provolone onto each pretzel.
- At this point, I allow them to cool, pack each one in a baggie and then refrigerate or freeze.
- From the fridge, you'll probably need about 1 minute in the microwave; from the freezer, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
- To enjoy right away: turn oven off and place pan back in until cheese starts to melt.