Recipe by Shar-on
These are great to have ready in the freezer for school lunches or snacks. I got this recipe from my church cookbook and have made it several times. I bake mine in the oven instead of deep frying.
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup sliced pepperoni
- 1⁄2 cup onion, sauteed
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mushrooms, sauteed
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in the shortening and add milk slowly, stirring constantly to form a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead lightly.
- Roll out to 1/4 inch thick and cut into 4 inch circles.
- Place circles on a plate and cover with a damp cloth.
- In a medium bowl mix tomato sauce, pepperoni, onions and mushrooms.
- Mix well.
- Stir in cheese and oregano until well combined.
- Place 2 T filling in the center of each circle, fold dough over to make a half circle.
- Press the edges tog with fingers.
- Pinch edges with a fork to completely seal.
- Deep fry in hot oil or bake at 400 degF for 15 minutes on well greased cookie sheet.