Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are great to have ready in the freezer for school lunches or snacks. I got this recipe from my church cookbook and have made it several times. I bake mine in the oven instead of deep frying.
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup sliced pepperoni
- 1⁄2 cup onion, sauteed
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mushrooms, sauteed
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in the shortening and add milk slowly, stirring constantly to form a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead lightly.
- Roll out to 1/4 inch thick and cut into 4 inch circles.
- Place circles on a plate and cover with a damp cloth.
- In a medium bowl mix tomato sauce, pepperoni, onions and mushrooms.
- Mix well.
- Stir in cheese and oregano until well combined.
- Place 2 T filling in the center of each circle, fold dough over to make a half circle.
- Press the edges tog with fingers.
- Pinch edges with a fork to completely seal.
- Deep fry in hot oil or bake at 400 degF for 15 minutes on well greased cookie sheet.
Fantastic, delicious and so easy to make! I'm so glad I found this recipe!
i took this and ran with it, the pastry is an amazing copycat of pisbury pizza pops! i made one batch with tomato sauce, mushrooms, veggie pepperoni, cheddar, and mozza. one batch with alfredo sauce, veggie chicken, mozza, cheddar, and spinach, and one with pesto sauce, olives, mozza, cheddar, and sun-dried tomatoes. these freeze and reheat well, just like the brand name ones. quite easy to over-fill and have them explode. overall though these are (or can be made) much healthier then store bought and you can vary them and make big calzone ones or small bite-sized ones. all are great to take with for lunches. overall i say NOM NOM NOM!
These are amazing. My daughter loves pizza pops, but I refuse to spend my money on the garbage they sell in the grocery stores. I made these ones for her and she loves them!!! :) I omitted the mushrooms and onion and added diced garlic, dried basil and a dash of red pepper flakes. And to top it off they are incredibly easy and quick to make. These are going to be a definite regular item in my freezer! Thanks for sharing!!