Prep 45 mins
Cook 10 mins
Far cheaper than the store bought version, and a real kid pleaser.
- 4 cups flour
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups pepperoni (shredded)
- 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- pepper, to tase
- 1 cup tomato paste or 1 cup tomato sauce
- DOUGH: Mix flour, oil and salt with enough warm water to make a stiff dough. Let stand covered for 1/2 hour.
- FILLING: Combine ingredients.
- To assemble:
- Roll dough thin, and cut in circles. Place a tablespoon of filling on each. Fold over and seal the edges.
- Bake in the oven, (350 to 10 mins) or deep fry til golden.
I guess because the recipe is vague about water required for the dough, mine did not turn out. It was perhaps too sticky and overworked? I really don't know how it was supposed to be. My pizza pops did NOT brown up in the oven. Even the bottoms stayed white. I tried a batch at a higher temp, but to no avail. I think I will try a yeast dough next time.
These are tasty little tidbits!! I had to cut the recipe in half because I didn't have enough pepperoni on hand for a full recipe. I don't know what size circles you cut yours in , so I used my 2.5" biscuit cutter. This only allowed me to use a heaping tsp. of filling per 'nibble' ( I tried 1 Tbl and ended up with filling falling out all over LOL) I ended up with a baseball size of dough leftover and 1.5 cups of the filling. Not a problem by any means, it will get used , just wanting to share my experience. Also I baked mine at 350° for 12 minutes. I never did get a golden top but that sure didn't affect the taste. I could see getting even more creative with these, i.e. filling ingredients. Thanks for sharing this recipe and I will definitely be making these again!!