Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Great appetizer. From Taste of Home.
- 4 -4 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 egg
- 3 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 1⁄3 cups minced pepperoni (about 5 ounces)
- 2 cups pizza sauce, warmed
- In a mixing bowl, combine 2 cups of flour, sugar, yeast, oregano and salt. Heat water and shortening to 120-130*, add to flour mixture along with the egg. Beat on medium speed for 1 minute.
- Stir in cheese and pepperoni; mix well.
- Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface, knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; divide into four portions. Cut each portion into eight pieces; roll each piece into a 12-inch rope. Tie into a loose knot, leaving two long ends. Fold top end under roll; bring bottom end up and press into center of roll.
- Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 375* for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with pizza sauce.