Recipe by * Pamela *
This is an adopted recipe! These freeze well, great for OAMC!
Top Review by Kat
I have been looking for this recipe for a long time. This is basically a large pizza "pop", about 7 inches long, and 4 inches deep at the biggest depth. Even though you stick them in the oven for a while, they brown lightly. Filling and healthy, especially if you use low-fat cheese and go easy on the meat. Be careful to seal the edges. Poke holes in the top with your fork before you bake them (helps prevent pocket from exploding.)
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
Pizza Pocket Filling
- 1⁄2 cup sausage or 1⁄2 cup pepperoni or 1⁄2 cup ham
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1⁄3 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix 1 1/4 cups flour, yeast and salt in bowl.
- Stir in warm water.
- Beat on low speed for 1/2 minute. Scrape bowl constantly.
- Beat 3 minutes on high speed.
- Stir in remaining flour with a spoon.
- Turn dough out on floured surface. Knead 6 to 8 minutes.
- Cover dough; let rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide into 6 parts.
- (Dough is also excellent pizza dough.) Filling instructions: Brown and drain sausage, green pepper and onion.
- Add chopped tomatoes and tomato paste, spices and water.
- Cook 5 minutes.
- Roll each portion of pizza pocket dough into rounds.
- Spoon 1/6 of filling and 1/6 of cheese onto each pizza pocket round.
- Fold dough in half and close with fork tines.
- Brush with beaten egg.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes.