Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This dough is simple to make and has a slightly sweet taste. The kids love making their own pizza pockets, and I love using leftovers to make calzone type sandwiches. Make some up for dinner, or choose fillings that freeze well and you can make a bunch to have on hand for lunches and picnics. *Note: this is a sticky dough to aid in pinching the pockets closed. Adjust flour as needed to work with it. Mixing time: 15 minutes Rising time: 30 minutes Baking time: 20 minutes
- Mix yeast with warm water and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Mix lemon juice with milk and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine both flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and butter. Mix well.
- Add the yeast and milk mixtures to the dry mixture. Knead well, then let rise in the bowl for 30 minutes (or longer) with a clean towel covering it.
- Divide dough into 8-10 balls. Roll a ball out to about 1/8" thick, and about 6" diameter. *Sprinkle flour on your counter top and on your rolling pin to keep dough from sticking to the surfaces.*
- Pizza - spread a spoonfull of sauce leaving the outer inch of dough oncovered. Add about 3 tbsp of pizza toppings (ie 1 tbsp cheese, 1 tbsp ham, 1 tbsp pineable) to the middle. Fold dough in half and pinch edges closed.
- Other fillings - get creative with leftovers - anything that is freezable and bakable will be great!
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
- Let cool 5 minutes before serving, or cool completely then wrap individually in wax paper then freeze. Best if reheated in an oven, but can be heated in the microwave too.
I loved the idea and made a batch to freeze and take camping for the weekend. The dough was very sticky so I had to add a lot of four to get it right (at least another half cup flour) but didn't measure how much was added.
I think that this is a good dough. Although we needed more flour than listed. But with dough that is kind of common. I did add just a tad more sugar and salt....but it probably evened out with the extra flour we needed to add. Thanks for the recipe!