Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Pizza with a twist!
- 1 8-inch baked pie shell
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, sliced thin
- 1⁄4 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 4 tomatoes, seeded and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 cup dry salami or 1⁄2 cup pepperoni, cut into slivers
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 cup sliced black olives
- 1⁄4 cup tomato sauce (of your choice)
- In a large skillet heat 2 T.
- oil over medium high heat, add the onions and saute for 8 min.
- Remove to a large bowl and salt and pepper them Same skillet add 1 t.
- oil and saute the mushrooms and peppers-remove to the same bowl and salt and pepper them.
- Add 2 t.
- to the skillet and saute the tomatoes, garlic, thyme, oregano.
- Remove to bowl and add sauce.
- Fold in the salami and cool.
- Place half of this mixture on the bottom of shell-then half the cheese-remaining mixture-remaining cheese-sprinkle black olives on top.
- Bake in a 350 oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Let stand at 15 minutes before cutting.
- Serve hot.
Made this for dinner tonight thinking it would be a hit with the kids. However, it got quite a few mixed reviews. My one daughter loved the filling but did not care for the pie crust base at all, while the other two daughters said it was okay. My son decided his favorite part of dinner was the pie crust, so he ate the crust which my daughter scraped the filling off of. I found the combination to be quite different and interesting. Recipe has been made and reviewed for the Best of 2010 Recipe Tag game.
Where has this been for so long and how did everyone just pass it by until Chef loof found it! Well anyway, thank heavens she found it...it's GREAT! You can change the fillings around most anyway you would for a regular pizza, just keep to the approximate total amount! I painted the pie crust with an egg wash before baking and that helped keep the crust from getting soggy once filled and baked! A truly delightful recipe. DH loved it and took leftovers for lunch next day--said it rewarmed fine! Thanks Di!
This pie is an absolute delight! I don't care for onion so subbed a red pepper, and I used canadian bacon instead of salami. I was a little worried that there wouldn't be enough cheese but I stuck with the recipe amount and it was just right. Loved this - it's a keeper - thanks for posting the recipe!