Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Feb 2013 issue of Cuisine at Home
Make and share this Pizza Pasta Bake recipe from Food.com.
- 8 ounces pasta, dry, campanelle is suggested
- 5 ounces pepperoni stick, sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 8 ounces bulk Italian sausage
- 2 (8 ounce) packages button mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- 1 (3 7/8 ounce) cansliced black olives
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- thinly sliced fresh basil
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water; drain.
- [Preheat broiler to high with rack 6-8 inches from element].
- Saute pepperoni in a large saute pan over medium high heat until beginning to crisp; transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Brown sausage in pepperoni drippings, 8 minutes. Transfer sausage to a separate paper towel lined plate.
- Saute mushrooms in sausage drippings until browned. Add onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, and pepper flakes. Cook 1 minute more. Stir in tomatoes and cook until slightly thickened, 3 minutes.
- Stir in cooked pasta, sausage, and olives. Layer mozzarella over casserole and top with pepperoni. Broil casserole until cheese is browned and bubbly. Sprinkle parmesan over top of casserole and garnish with basil.
My fussy family loved this recipe, I modified by omitting the mushrooms and olives. Used mini turkey pepperoni and omitted the salt and pepper. It was a favorite and was quick to whip up on a school night. Could even make pasta ahead of time.