Prep 2 hrs
Cook 20 mins
We have made this recipe many times and we just love it. The crust gets an amazing flavour when cooked on the BBQ. You may need to add a bit more flour to the dough, it should be smooth and not sticky. You can make 2 large pizzas or 4 individual pizzas. Cooking time includes time for dough to rise. TIP: You can top these pizzas with anything that grabs your fancy. I have written the recipe as it orginally came in our local news paper, but we use different toppings all the time (mushrooms, fresh mozzarella, red onion, chicken, goat's cheese, tomatoes etc)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 4 turkey sausages, precooked and cut in small pieces
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes, halves and crushed with hands
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaf, torn
- 1⁄2 lb buffalo mozzarella (or you can substitute with bocconcini)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Combine sugar, yeast and warm water and let sit for around 10 min until it starts to foam.
- Add the salt and oil, mix.
- Add flours and cornmeal and knead/mix until well combined and dough not sticky. You may have to add more flour to get the required texture. I use a Kitchen Aid for the kneading.
- Take out of bowl and knead for a bit on the table. Spray the bowl with cooking spray (or smear some olive oil in the bowl) and sit in a warm place, covered, for 1 - 1 1/2 hours.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
- Divide the dough into the number of pizzas you wish to make. Roll out the dough as thin as possible. Prick the dough in a few places with a fork to prevent the dough from bubbling up when cooking.
- Heat grill to medium (be careful not to have grill too hot or dough will burn) and place rolled out pizza dough directly on the grill. Let it cook for 1 min and flip and let the other side cook. The pizza should look sligthly browned.
- Remove add the topping mixture and spread on top of pizza.
- Cook on grill at LOW until cheese melts - again be careful to not have the grill too hot.
- Serve immediately.
DH and I made pizzas on the grill last night. This is the one he and I had. We really enjoyed it and thought it had excellent flavor. We served with Mixed Green Salad With Fresh Peaches, Basil and Chevre 382595, a good combination. Thanks for posting, we would have our pizza this way again. Made for ZWT7