Prep 30 mins
Cook 23 mins
A savory muffin.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten and at room temperature
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2⁄3 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat; add the oil and swirl the oil around in the pan.
- Add in the onion, green pepper, and mushrooms.
- Stir/sauté for 4 minutes or until the mushrooms have given off their liquid and it has evaporated.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl; let cool for 5 minutes.
- In another bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, and baking powder until well combined; set aside.
- Add the eggs and remaining ingredients to the vegetables; stir to combine.
- Stir in the flour mixture until incorporated.
- Prepare muffin pan by spraying the indentations and rims around them with nonstick cooking spray.
- Fill muffin pans 3/4 full; make sure any vegetables are fully submerged in the batter.
- Bake in a 400°F oven for 23 minutes or until the muffins have well-rounded, lightly browned tops and pick comes out clean.
- Place pan on a wire rack; let cool 10 minutes.
- Gently tip each muffin to one side to make sure it isn't stuck (gently rock muffin back and forth to release).
- Remove muffins from pan and cool on wire rack 5 minutes.