Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are large meatballs, with melted mozzarella in the middle, a real kid pleaser. Flatten the meatball mixture into a flat disc, put the cheese cube in the middle & bring the meat edges up around it & press to seal. After a (deserved) 3 star review, I made a change in the type & am't of filler & the result is a much improved meatball.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup oatmeal
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons instant minced onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, cut into 12 bite sized pieces
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 (12 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- In a medium bowl, mix well the first 6 ingredients with a fork.
- Shape into 12 large meatballs, with 1 cube of cheese in center of each, making sure that cheese is completely covered with the meat mixture.
- On waxed paper, coat each meatball lightly with flour.
- In 12" skillet over medium heat, in hot oil, cook meatballs until browned on all sides.
- Spoon off fat.
- Add sauce to meatballs& heat till boiling.
- Reduce heat to low& simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve over pasta or rice.
We loved this recipe. DH even took leftovers as a Meatball Sub for his lunch today. Only change I would make would be to use fresh onions next time and maybe a little fresh garlic. Thanks for the great recipe.
Pick Your Chef Nov "2004" What a wonderful recipe.These meatballs were so very good. We all had a wonderful time making them. The smell was out of this word. Everyday ingredents that I always have on hand. Thank You
Excellent change, Judy! I wanted to update my review after re-trying your recipe...we prefer the change you made with the oatmeal. Everyone in the family really enjoyed these! Thanks again Judy!