Recipe by LMillerRN
This recipe is well-suited for families who like home-cooked meals but don't always eat together. Store the meat loaves in the refrigerator for up to a day. Cook them all at once or one at a time.
- 2 slices firm white bread
- cooking spray
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄3 cup bottled roasted red pepper
- 1⁄4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons commercial pesto sauce
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 lb ground turkey breast (or ground beef)
- 3⁄4 lb ground round
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄3 cup pizza sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Place bread slices in a food processor, and pulse 10 times or until fine crumbs measure 1 1/4 cups.
- Heat a medium nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 4 minutes or until lightly browned. Place onion in food processor. Add bell peppers, and pulse 10 times or until the bell peppers are chopped.
- Combine breadcrumbs, onion mixture, cheese, pesto, salt, turkey, beef, and egg. Divide beef mixture into 9 equal portions, shaping each into a (3 x 1-inch) loaf. Place loaves on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 18 minutes or until lightly browned. Spoon about 1 1/2 teaspoons sauce over each loaf. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until a thermometer registers 160°.