Recipe by Charlotte J
My 7 year old son found this recipe. Source is from Midwest Living.
Top Review by Caryn
What a great recipe! I have two very picky daughters, and I now have something else that I can cook that they will eat. My girls loved the corkscrew shaped noodles intermingled with the pepperoni and hamburger meat. The sauce was nice and thick so that each biteful remained on the spoon (a good thing with my 6 year old). The pizza flavored tomato sauce base was enough to steer the flavor away from the traditional spaghetti sauce so as to have a bit of variety with Italian dishes. And lastly, the girls loved the two layers of mozzarella cheese rather than all the cheese located on the top of the casserole. Thanks for posting this kid friendly (and adult too) recipe!
- 2 cups dried corkscrew macaroni
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package pepperoni
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can pizza sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 (8 ounce) package mozzarella cheese, shredded (2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook macaroni as directed on package; drain and set aside.
- Cut pepperoni slices into quarters.
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef and onion; drain.
- In a large bowl mix together pizza sauce, tomato sauce, tomato paste, sugar, pepper, garlic and onion salts.
- Stir in cooked macaroni and pepperoni.
- In a greased 2-quart casserole dish spoon in half of the macaroni mixture; sprinkle with half of the mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat layers.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree oven about 40 minutes or until cheese is lightly brown.