Prep 27 hrs
Cook 12 mins
Delicious pizza with great cheese-stuffed crust! From Top Secret by Todd Wilbur
- 3⁄4 cup warm water (105 to 115F)
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 1⁄4 cups bread flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 8 ounces mozzarella string cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- For the crust: Make one day prior to baking. Combine warm water, sugar, and yeast in a small bowl.
- Stir until combined.
- Let mixture sit for 5 minutes, until foam begins to build on surface.
- In a large bowl sift flour and salt and make a deep depression in the center of the mixture.
- Add oil and yeast-water mixture to the depression and combine using a fork until you can use your hands.
- Dust a clean flat surface with flour and kneed the dough until the dough has a smooth consistent texture. This should take about 1 minutes.
- Rub a light coating of oil on dough and put in air-tight container and store in warm place for 2 hours, until it doubles in size.
- Punch down dough, put back in air-tight container and store in refrigerator for 24 hours. (if you do not have that time you can use the dough now).
- When ready to use roll out to 18 inches.
- Place dough on pan and make a ring around the edge with string cheese.
- Moisten the outering with water and fold over the dough to cover cheese and score the center of dough with a fork.
- Finally, lightly brush the dough with olive oil.
- For the sauce: Combine tomato sauce, water, sugar, lemon juice, and spices in a sauce pan over medium heat.
- Once it starts to bubble, drop heat down and simmer for 30-60 minutes until desired thickness is reached (this makes sauce for two pies).
- Assembly: Heat oven to 475°F.
- Spread 1 cup of pizza sauce to the edges of the pizza crust.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheese and toppings.
- Bake for 12 to 16 minutes.
As DGSs are visiting and they can NEVER agree what goes on a pizza I made these into personal pan size and I was elected the BEST Nanna ever!! These were simple to put together with a little advance planning (made the day before and put in the fridge) and the crust was just perfect. They loved the stuffed crust and you are right in that it taste like Pizza Hut. Since I was making pan size, I had to slice and quarter the string cheese - but that made it for the perfect size. Thanks so much for posting.