Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
It actually tastes like pizza! Kids love it, and it's a good way to hide veggies too. Feel free to add any leftover cooked veggies - green beans are great - or throw in some chopped tomatoes.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder or 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package pepperoni
- 1 pinch fennel seed (optional)
- Brown ground beef and onion. Place in greased 2 quart casserole.
- Cook macaroni per package directions, then drain and add to the meat mixture.
- Add 1.5 cans tomato sauce, water, basil, garlic powder or salt, oregano, and fennel seeds, and 1 c shredded mozzarella cheese. If you are adding tomatoes or green beans, add them now. Mix well.
- Spread the rest of the cheese on top, add a layer of pepperoni, and evenly spoon on the last half can of tomato sauce. Sprinkle with some more oregano.
- Bake covered at 375°F for 20 minutes. Remove foil; bake 10 minutes more or until cheese is bubbly and starting to brown.
My kids loved this meal! I used pizza sauce instead of tomato sauce and left out the herbs. This is a great meal to take to a potluck.
I made this hotdish last night and it looked wonderful. I layered it as the directions said. Although, I think that next time I will mix the tomato sauce in with the hamburger and the spices. My family enjoyed. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
Very delicious hotdish! Instead of the tomato sauce, I used a jar of garlic & herb spaghetti sauce and put some freshly chopped basil on top of the entire thing. DELICIOUS! My 5-yr. old kept shoveling it in saying "oh Mom, this is AWESOME!" Guess it passed the test!