Top Review by Charlotte J
This would be a 5 star recipe but there are a few problems with it. So here it goes. This recipe says to use a '15' ounce 'can' of tomato paste. Well, tomato paste does not come in a can that size, at least not here in Iowa. I'm wondering if she meant tomato sauce which does come in a 15 ounce can. I felt that if you would add the paste and the soup together without any other liquid it would be to thick. This would in turn cause the mixture to be to thick and then you could not simmer the mixture for 15 minutes without it burning. Keeping all this in mind, I decided on using the 15 ounces of tomato sauce. This mixture of sauce and soup simmered nicely for the stated 15 minutes. Next I used 9 ounces of noodles, you could even use 12 ounces without any problems. Which I was glad, as if I used the recommended 6 ounces it would not been enough when it came to layering the hot diah. The last thing, there was no baking temperature stated. So I decided on 375 degrees. And since everything was hot already (except the cheese) I bake it for 30 minutes covered then 15 minutes uncovered, 10 would have been enough. The outcome with all the changes was a great tasting hot dish. I hope all this information will help you if you decide to make this recipe. Made this for My 3 Chefs game 2007... Theme: Recipes having these words in title 'Hot Dish'
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons onion salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (6 ounce) packagewide noodles
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1⁄4 cups sharp cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown meat in a large fry pan.
- Add tomato soup and spices: simmer about 15 minutes.
- Cook noodles according tto the directions on the package.
- Grease a 13 x 9 x 2 pan and place 1/2 of the cooked noodles on the bottom.
- Pour 1/2 meat sauce over noodles and sprinkle with 1/2 grated cheese.
- Repeat layering of remaining ingredients: sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove foil during last 20 minutes.