Recipe by BigFatMomma
This is from the 1966 Pillsbury Busy Lady Bake-off Recipe booklet. I haven't made it yet, but I have to give this book back, so I'm posting it here! (Rising time not included).
- 1⁄4 ounce active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 3⁄4 cup milk, scalded and cooled to room temp
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons spaghetti sauce mix
- 3 1⁄4-3 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Soften yeast in warm water in a large mixer bowl.
- Stir in milk, 1/2 cup melted butter, sugar and salt, blend well.
- Add eggs, 1/4 cup cheese, spaghetti sauce mix and flour to form a soft dough, beat well.
- Cover, let rise in warm place until light and doubled in size, about one hour.
- Punch down dough, roll out, half at a time, on floured surface, to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Brush with remaining melted butter.
- Cut into ovals with a floured 3 1/2x2 inch cutter.
- Arrange petals in alternating layers in greased 9-inch springform pan, brushing each layer with tomato sauce and sprinkling with cheese.
- Bake at 400 for 15 minutes.
- Decrease oven temperature to 350 and bake 30 minutes longer.
- During last 15 minutes of baking, cover with foil.
- Serve warm.