Prep 25 mins
Cook 48 mins
Makes enough for 4 - 12" pizzas. For successful grilled pizza the dough needs to be rolled thinly enough to cook through without burning and do not overload the pizza with toppings. 3 hours rising time not included in cooking/prep time. Recipe from Cuisine at Home.
- 1 cup warm water (105-115F)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Oven-Roasted Tomato Sauce
- 4 lbs roma tomatoes, quartered (8 cups)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves (whole)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup snipped fresh basil
Toppings (any combination of the following)
- olive oil, fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced pepperoni, spinach, Parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes, fontina chee
- Pizza dough:.
- Combine water, sugar, and yeast. Proof until mixture turns foamy, about 5 minutes.
- Mix flours and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. Add oil to proofed yeast mixture; then pour into flour mixture. Knead dough on low speed 10 minutes. (If kneading by hand, knead dough the same amount of time.).
- Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, turning dough to coat surface. Cover dough with plastic wrap. Let dough rise in a warm place until doubled, about 2 hours.
- Punch dough down and divide it into four balls, pinching the bottoms closed. Cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm place another hour.
- Oven-Roasted Tomato Sauce:.
- Preheat oven to 450°F
- Combine tomatoes, onion, garlic cloves, salt, pepper flakes, and sugar in a large casserole dish.
- Toss tomato mixture with olive oil; roast 35-40 minutes until tomatoes have softened. Remove from oven and mash with a potato masher, keeping tomatoes a bit chunky.
- Stir in basil.
- Grilling pizza (have toppings ready to go):.
- Preheat one side of grill to medium-high, the other side to low. Place dough over hot side, close lid, and cook 2-3 minutes. The crust will bubble and grill marks will appear underneath.
- Use tongs to flip over crust and move it to the cool side of grill. Brush crust with olive oil.
- Add toppings. Keep quantities light so they cook quickly. Return pizza to hot side of grill for 4-5 minutes.
- Pizza is done when cheese is melted. Remove pizza from the grill using a pizza peel or the back of a baking sheet.