Recipe by plove53
When I was very young my Italian Great Grandmother use to give us this treat (I guess to shut us up) while she was cooking. Now this calls for a sprinkle of sugar… BUT the beauty is you can fill them with sauce, mozzarella, meat, whatever you like. This is also great with any left over/unused pizza dough
Top Review by alfritta
My mother was born in Italy and used to make this for our family and our friends. After cutting of a piece of the raised dough, Mom would stretch it out. A little practice may be required before you can stretch it without tearing it. This makes the dough cook better and raises it as it cooks. Try it, you will like it.
- pizza dough (your own or store bought)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- granulated sugar
- jelly (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in frying pan.
- Break off ~2" pieces of dough.
- Place in hot oil, cook until done (around 3-5 min and turning once).
- Place on paper towel and let drain (1 min).
- Sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Cut open and place in a teaspoon of jelly (optional), or just eat them as is.
- Do not add sugar/jelly – let cool and just cut open place sauce/cheese/meat/whatever inside then bake in oven for ~3-5min (until done). It’s like having an extra good hot pocket LOL.