Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
When I was very young my Italian Great Grandmother use to give us this treat (I guess to shut us up) while she was cooking. Now this calls for a sprinkle of sugar… BUT the beauty is you can fill them with sauce, mozzarella, meat, whatever you like. This is also great with any left over/unused pizza dough
- pizza dough (your own or store bought)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- granulated sugar
- jelly (optional)
- Heat oil in frying pan.
- Break off ~2" pieces of dough.
- Place in hot oil, cook until done (around 3-5 min and turning once).
- Place on paper towel and let drain (1 min).
- Sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Cut open and place in a teaspoon of jelly (optional), or just eat them as is.
- Do not add sugar/jelly – let cool and just cut open place sauce/cheese/meat/whatever inside then bake in oven for ~3-5min (until done). It’s like having an extra good hot pocket LOL.
I had never thought of anything like this, but love pizza dough and when I saw this knew I had to try it. Followed the directions (minus the sugar) and when done, split and stuffed with Mozzarella cheese and then used heated pizza sauce for dipping. LOVED it, I'm thinking would even be good in small pieces for an appy with guest. Next plan on trying it with the sugar and cinnamon.
My mother was born in Italy and used to make this for our family and our friends. After cutting of a piece of the raised dough, Mom would stretch it out. A little practice may be required before you can stretch it without tearing it. This makes the dough cook better and raises it as it cooks. Try it, you will like it.
very good had never done this before. my partner put cheese on top as soon as it came out of the pan. it melted beautifully and made a great tasting snack!