Prep 35 mins
Cook 10 mins
The crisp wrappers and flavorful pizza filling make these taste so good.
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 3⁄4 cup diced green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) package mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 13 egg roll wraps
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- oil (for frying)
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Uncover and simmer 10 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; cool for 20 minutes.
- Stir in cheese.
- Place 1/3 cup sausage mixture in the center of each egg roll wrapper.
- Fold bottom corner over filling; fold sides toward center over filling. Brush remaining corner with egg; roll up tightly to seal.
- In an electric skillet or a deep fryer, heat 1 inch of oil to 375*.
- Fry egg rolls in batches for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
These were great! We subbed a lot: pepperoni for the sausage, red pepper for the green, and wonton wrappers for the egg roll wrappers. We also added black olives, and used sour cream for dipping. YUM!
My family LOVED this recipe. Even my very picky 4 year old ate these. I added the ingredients that we like on pizza, which was ham, pepperoni and mushrooms, pizza sauce and cheese. Dh was sad when there were no leftover to take to work for his lunch. This is a definate keeper. Thanks for posting
These were so good! I used pizza sauce I had instead of tomatoes & paste & mixed in pepperoni pieces with the sausage. Everyone is begging me to make them again. Thanks for posting! :)