Recipe by spatchcock
Thank you again, Sara's Secrets! I got this recipe and idea for stuffed crust from Sara Moulton's show on the food network. Made it last week---yielded four little pizzas. I topped two with lots of spinach and fresh thinly sliced seeded roma tomatoes, and the others I made with stuffed crusts and topped with zucchini and tomatoes and cheese. You can also use this dough as a calzone or focaccia dough. You could easily make a batch of this and then freeze it and pull it out whenever you want!
Top Review by SiouxzQzz
Love it! I precook it for 10 minutes, on a Pampered Chef stone, at 500F. Then, toss the toppings on and bake for 15 more minutes. A problem I've had with other homemade crusts is that they are soft. This high temp and precooking combination really helps make a crust firm enough to hold up to eating.
- 1⁄4 cup water (about 110 degrees)
- 1 (2 1/4 teaspoon) envelope active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 cups bread flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups cold water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- yellow cornmeal, for sprinkling the baking sheet
- ricotta cheese (any melting cheese would work) or mozzarella cheese (any melting cheese would work)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, combine warm water, yeast, and sugar.
- Stir to combine.
- In the food processor, combine flour and salt and pulse.
- Add the yeast mixture, cold water, and oil.
- Pulse until a ball is formed: this will happen quickly, be careful not to overwork the dough.
- Scrape dough out onto a lightly floured counter and knead for several minutes until dough is smooth.
- Allow dough to rest for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Place dough in oiled bowl and allow to rise at room temperature for about 1 hour.
- Punch down and divide dough into 2-4 pieces.
- At this point, you may wrap the dough in plastic and either freeze it for up to 3 weeks or wrap it up and refrigerate it for 3-4 days.
- Shape dough, let rise for another 30 minutes, and top with desired toppings.
- Bake at 500 degrees for 10-15 minutes.
- Optional stuffed crust instructions: Roll out pizza.
- Pipe ricotta around the edge of the round and fold the edges over.
- Or, cut mozzarella into logs and place on the edges of the round and fold over the edges.
- Be sure to make slits in the tops of edges with a knife so the crusts don't explode.
- Top with desired toppings and bake as above.